Hi my name is #Geek and i am a digital-holic.
In the middle of the summer we have the wedding season, holiday season, hot season together with the main and impossible “i still have to work today” season. That being said, I woke up today with my same exact routine as i would wake up every single day, even though my body says other wise.
I woke up and turned off my alarm clock on my phone. While I was at it, checked all notifications, went on and checked my emails, Facebook, Instagram, current ad campaigns and some rankings for the sites. This is not even including giving out any replies just yet. Of course i had to check if there are any Pokemon around…because you know…reasons.
And all of this without even brushing my teeth. You can easily imagine how the next hour of getting ready and going to work through traffic will go but I will skip the boring details and focus on work.
Once I get in the office, I have to properly check my emails and reply back, and while i organize my schedule and put down the to-do list of the day I read my daily articles, vox, vice, medium, etc.
You catch my drift? Its not even 9 AM just yet and I have spend 95% of the time glued into getting more and more information, where most of it is pure gossip of my Facebook and Instagram friends and/or any unrelated crap that one find just superficially interested (i.e – you can’t believe what happened to set celebrity – diply type of crap obviously.)
This is bad. I should stop this. But how?
First of, I am thinking of starting easy:
- De-clutter your social media feed. remove those annoying funny pages with nonsense videos (mothers be like type)
- Remove most of the notifications – keep texts on. You don’t need to keep in touch with half of the world, or know how many likes your new instagram post has
- Focus on getting a specific category of information – music, educational – whatever floats your boat
Next once you do a week of this, you should consider detox times. Take a whole month of minimal social media activity – and by minimal i mean, just don’t open the app at all. Focusing on getting some free time other than social media or any other 9gagging sort of activity.
- Focus on getting fit – not wasting time is a byproduct of being more efficient at your job through focusing at what you do and realizing that there is much more to your life other than binge watching Game of Thrones and scrolling reddit.
- Start that freelance project you keep bragging about. Get it done. Start it up, Shut up about not having enough time.
- Be a little like a hipster and talk to people face to face.
I am going to try this out. Lets see how it goes.